Thursday, March 5, 2015

Thursday roundup (brought to you by: snow)

In light of the documentary about the Delhi rapists, debates arise not only as to whether it's giving them a platform or airing their views to be discussed and condemned but also whether the West is pointing fingers. It shouldn't be; it's not as if those views aren't aired here, all the time. (See, most recently, the University of Oregon case).

Also in India: a crisis of malnourished women.

In Afghanistan: honor killings are still a threat.

Yeah, that new secret facility, isn't, and the press should know better:
Somehow, not a single newspaper tried to contact any of these people. Carol Morello at the Washington Post wrote that NCRI’s claims “could not be independently verified.” Yeah, not unless you have a computer and an Internet connection.

It's everyone's problem when black America can't trust the police.

The most egregious parts of the Ferguson report. On Twitter, Adam Serwer dubbed the town a violent kleptocracy.

Marissa Alexander's incredible strength amid incredible bullshit.

Why the surprise about most sex workers enjoying their jobs?

The redemption of Dennis Kozlowski is an adorable story.

I'm going to update my earlier post with excerpts, but for here: quit calling women crazy.

Love this:
I normally don’t invite poetry into my daily life. As an ecologist, I embrace science. But all I had to offer her at that point were the thoughts of others who struggled to make a meaningful life and had put those thoughts into the best, sparest words they could.
It suddenly struck me — I the one who loves science, data, facts and reason — that when push comes to shove, it was poetry I could count on. Poetry knew where hope lived and could elicit that lump in the throat that reminds me it’s all worth it. Science couldn’t do that.

I know we've talked about this a lot, but it can't be said enough, because I see a lot of "why does y even matter when x is happening." In fact, when someone replied to a tweet the tragedy of a journalist killed in a car accident, some douche bag had to say, "oh, c'mon, the Chapel Hill murders are a tragedy." We can't mourn a life lost because other lives were lost within the same 24-hour period? If that were the case, we could barely care about anything.

Take it from someone who's been there: just don't:
Didn't I tell you that Nina Teicholz's op-ed was bullshit?

Not a surprise that Alexandria's a wonderfully liveable place.

Need help picking a sweetener?

Stoned bunnies!

I want to visit these ice caves.

No comments: