Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday roundup

Syrian refugees are being married off as young girls because Syria's refugee crisis. Orthodox Jewish women in the U.S. can have nearly as hard a time getting out of arranged marriages.

Yemen's women's movement.

Haiti's complicated corruption scandal.

Moral injury isn't the same thing as PTSD.

Free Amir Hekmati.

The Virginia school system upended a student's life over a Japanese maple leaf. Meanwhile, privileged parents feel that cleaning is a "degrading" punishment for their kids.

Could Prudence please stop talking?

All mommyjacking is douchey, but some is super-douchey.

Beautiful photos of the tragedy of glaciers melting.
Want to save water? Keep the showers, lose the burgers. Really:
If you eat just six fewer 4-oz burgers per year it'll save as much water as not showering. The. Whole. Year.
This is how much McDonald's cares about its workers's safety.
 
I've been over this before, but go ahead and have that occasional Tofurkey.

As I've always said, there's more to organics than your own safety as a consumer (even though RoundUp is a 'likely carcinogen'); the greater effect is on farm workers and the environment. That said, I accidentally bought conventional apples this week, and--I am not making this up or exaggerating--I could taste the pesticides, which overpowered the taste of the fruit.

FFS, I don't give a f* about Lena Dunham but working out is not anti-feminist. Also, I don't generally wear makeup but "make up" is not "the female version of pretending to be a navy seal." There is so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start. But, as Laura Bates has pointed out, anti-feminists don't understand irony.
 
Thor is selling (as a woman). And don't forget that Superman is an immigrant who was written by immigrants. Now let's put a woman on the $20 bill.
 
I love this Times piece on journalese.

Such an interesting perspective on having one's name on a Starbucks cup, including the revelation that white/anglo people have their relatively simple names mispelled, too. I'm so used to having my name mangled--and it's not even (that) ethnic--that I shudder when someone asks for it. And don't get me started on having to provide my last name, which also isn't even that ethnic. I don't like providing my name because I assume it will be mispronounced, and to some extent, in certain fora, I don't like providing my name because it's unique enough that erodes the anonymity I prefer. I very rarely purchase coffee, much less at Starbucks, because c'mon, that $hit adds up, but if I did, I wouldn't want to be treated as an individual in the process.

Um, if the person you're about to marry wants to include a baby-weight provision in the pre-nup, run.
 
 
Internet Explorer users got issues.

No comments: