Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday evening roundup

Apple in China. On that note, if The Agony/Ecstasy of Steve Jobs comes to a theater near you, go see it.

India needs that SlutWalk.

Another story about how American fast food is making inroads in the developing world--in this case, Russia. It's funny, if you read through the article, what Russians actually want on their pizza. But I wonder why there's not more indigenous fast food. I don't think I ever saw street food in Russia, apart from ice cream trucks. But I didn't see, say, perogi sold as street food.

Food companies aren't going to regulate themselves. I'm of two minds about stuff like that because I believe the onus is on parents, but I'm also aware of the nutritional illiteracy plaguing the country. I think I told you about my friend who was hospitalized for pancreatitis, brought on by obesity. I saw her in the hospital, and then at her house shortly thereafter. On her table was a big bag of brown sugar--a friend had brought it for her to help her eat more healthily. Yes, you read that right.

I know I go on about how being a vegan (at home, anyway) is very doable and even awesome, but that's only true if you prepare, unlike this woman. Don't neglect to plan ahead and than bitch about how there's no joy in vegan food.

No comments: