Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday morning roundup Part I

Posters are coming down across the Middle East.

I know we've been over this, but Eric Schlosser says it so well: caring about food isn't elitist.

Do any of you inhabit the same planet as David Rakoff? Because I certainly don't. Whom does the man interact with, such that the humanity he writes of sits on the couch and takes pleasure in the failure of others? Does he know no firefighters, social workers, volunteers, nurses... the list is endless. Is he not seeing people across the South, or in Japan, helping their neighbors? I'm not disputing the idea of schadenfreude or pretending to be above it (who didn't think it was awesome when Paris Hilton did jail time?), but I can say with the utmost honesty that my schadenfreude is channeled at entitled, media-whore celebrities, not people trying to make a difference in the world.

One professor's lost-cause battle against grade inflation.

No comments: