Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Classic phone call

Dad: What have you been up to?
A.: Not much?
Dad: Have you been to the theater at all?
A.: I'm at the theater all the time.
Mom: There: you immediately show signs of our good upbringing of you.

My parents didn't really take me to the theater when I was little. They took me to other performing arts, but not theater; they didn't enjoy it because of the language barrier.

Mom: I'd say you turned out well. Still a few rough patches, but those will smooth out with age.
A.: How's your knee?
Mom: Still a lot of pain. I just can't find a good position for it at night. It's that physical therapist; I was fine before she got me.
A.: Did you watch that video I sent you about dealing with pain?
Mom: No. I mean, I didn't open it.
Dad: I told you about it.
Mom: You told me about it?
Dad: Yeah.
Mom: You should have told me in a way, such that, I'd remember it.
Dad: I'll find it in the e-mail.
Mom: I'd better go--it's late. Goodnight. Enjoy your life while you can, because the world is going to hell. Hello?
A.: I'm here.
Mom: How much time do we have left with that jerk you helped elect? (Pause) Hello?
A.: What, mom?
Mom: Anyway, goodnight.
A.: Goodnight.
Mom: I'll find a book for you, it's the story of when things started really going wrong for Russia--
(A. hangs up.)

No comments: