Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday morning roundup (Part I, probably)

Ranchers and drug barons are devastating Guatemala's rainforest. Do you know where your beef (and drugs) are coming from?

If you still haven't read "Three Cups of Tea," it's still an amazing read. I mean, my mother--yes, my Fox-News-watching mother--asks me whether I know the fate of those schools when she hears about bombings in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

For shrimpers now working for, and being treated well by, BP, it's hard to get used to having a boss. But keep in mind that consuming green doesn't give you a license to overconsume.

I don't disagree with much of what Mr. Tisdall is saying about American anti-Europeanism, but it's not intellectually honest to use ignorance ("is Sweden a country or a city?") as an example of antipathy.

Frank Rich on Mel Gibson, anti-Semitism, and the end of culture wars.

Read Dana Milbank's column. Here's an excerpt:
Twenty years ago, the dawn of the Internet Age gave us Godwin's Law: If an online argument goes on long enough, somebody will eventually invoke Hitler. When that happens, it's basically the end of the conversation, because all rational discussion ceases when one side calls the other Nazis.
Please stop drinking bottled water.

OMFG. I am shopping RiteAid for garden supplies, and couldn't help but notice this category of sale items. Who knew.

No comments: