Friday, June 18, 2010

Was it because I said unkind things about Carly Fiorina?

Do you want to hear something hilarious? The repair that my laptop needs is (a) not under warranty; and (b) would cost $479.

I don't understand the exact logic of why it's not covered under warranty--HP didn't accuse me of having created the crack in the LCD, but they say it is not a "manufacturing defect." I asked them to send me a letter or e-mail explaining the reasoning, so I can have the correct explanation when I write to Wired and other outlets about how a laptop that I purchased new just over six months ago--one that never left the house, never fell, etc.--became defective within that timeframe, with a defect not covered under warranty. The only thing I did with that screen was open it; if opening it caused a crack whose repair would cost more than half the price of the laptop, it's not a very good product, now is it?

So my "new" laptop should be back in a few business days, but I won't be able to use it until I get an external monitor (hopefully that will do it).

No comments: