Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday morning roundup

How does the income of politicians impact corruption? Is there a generational gap or at least difference in a sense of political powerlessness? When is trading in ideal for good enough pragmatic rather than defeatist?

Frank Rich on speeches and such.

Poignant and highly recommended columns from Nicholas Kristof and Richard Snow, on fathers.

Friedman on Turkey.

I don't disagree that women have a right to some selfishness (or, as I call it, self-preservation), but this piece on female mid-life crises rankles me. It's almost like the women quoted are after the wrong kind of selfishness, although I can't say one way or the other whether the writer is promoting that selfishness--one that really is selfish rather than healthy, one that I can't respect--or just explaining it away.

The real cost of seemingly disposable high-tech gadgets.

1 comment:

Ernessa T. Carter said...

I liked that female mid-life crisis article. But I think what it calls mid-life crisis (outside of cheating), I would call "needing a break every so once in awhile." Attaching four extra days in Paris to my Scotland business trips was GLORIOUS. I loved drinking w/o a care, getting up when I wanted to, and doing everything outside of a routine. But most of all, I loved missing my daughter and husband. Taking off for a full week by myself gave me something that I don't think most new mothers get -- a newfound appreciation for my home life. Now, I'm thinking of taking a solo vacation every year, and I wouldn't call it a crisis, but I do wonder if more moms shouldn't consider ways to prevent and reduce festering resentments in this manner.