Monday, April 26, 2010

Saints. Preserve. Us.

I am an ungrateful child.

I really, really want my mother to stop talking to me about Verizon, even when she's right and they're wrong.

It actually started when I talked to my parents during my layover in Dallas, on the way to Tokyo. Dad told me that the home phone wasn't working because Verizon wouldn't give them their phone number back. He told me that they'd relented and were in the process of fixing it at that moment. Then, mom called me.

Mom: Where are you?
A.: I'm boarding as we speak.
Mom: You wouldn't believe what they did!
A.: They wouldn't let you keep your phone number.
Mom: No! Listen! I mean, yes. But listen. [Launches into the story].
A.: Mom, I know. Dad told me. I don't have time to listen to this right now.
Mom: Fine!

We ended up having a civilized discussion for a few minutes, on something other than Verizon. I never want to hear about Verizon, but at that moment, I really couldn't care less about Verizon.

Mom called just now.

Mom: Dad and I are both having issues.
A.: What's up?
Mom: TurboTax is demanding payment.
A.: That's right. TurboTax costs money.
Mom: But we bought the software!
A.: [Shrug]. I don't know what to tell you, mom. I've never bought the software--I've always used the online version.
Mom: I guess that's what we should have done.
A.: Probably. Next?
Mom: Verizon "checked my credit" and determined that I owe them $110 from last time, and they're going to bill me for it every month together with the current service. Can you believe that?
A.: Yes and no.
Mom: Unbelievable!
A.: That's pretty wrong.
Mom: I just tossed out a bunch of paperwork, too. I should still have some on file. I guess the process starts again.
A.: Sorry you have to deal with it.

I feel really guilty about how relieved I was when she didn't ask me to do anything. No complaint letter, no further questioning about whether it would be better to contact the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General. Not because I don't want to be helpful, but because I don't know: she's much more of an expert on these matters. Also, even though she's not technically in the wrong, part of me is frustrated because she should know better: every time you enter into or change an agreement with Verizon or another utility, there's potential for BS. Verizon gave me drama, in various ways, when I moved. It's almost a type of loyalty program: don't change anything, and we'll have no opportunity to up the hassle factor.

I'd feel guiltier, but I'm letting it go because I have a feeling I'll make it up to her shortly by absorbing a weekend's worth of emotional abuse.

No comments: