Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mom blog forecast: potential for drama

A.: Hey.
Mom: Hey.
Dad: I saw your pictures.
Mom: I haven't. I haven't had time to look at them.
A.: What'd you think?
Dad: They look great.
A.: Thank you.
Mom: Are you ready for roses?
A.: I don't know.
Mom: I suppose I could plant them, and then dig them out again to bring to you.
A.: Are you coming down?
Mom: We thought we were...
A.: When?
Mom: We talked about coming down for your birthday!
A.: This is news to me, but that's great. Are you driving or flying?
Mom: Driving. We have so much stuff to bring you.
A.: [Sigh] Are you coming for real?
Mom: We can not come.
A.: No--I'd like for you to come down, but I need to know for sure so I don't cancel plans and then you decide that the weather's not good enough to drive down.
Mom: If you have plans, we can amuse ourselves.
A.: That won't be necessary. I just need to know one way or another.
Mom: Go ahead, do your own thing.
A.: Mom, it's fine. I just need to know so I can plan.
Mom: Plan how?
A.: Well, I had plans for Saturday, but those are easy enough to change, but I'll also not plan to do anything for my birthday.
Mom: That's what I'm saying: go ahead and plan something else for your birthday.
A.: That's not how it works. All I'm asking is that you let me know one way or another, and if you decide to come down, you actually commit to it.
Mom: Fine. We're coming for your birthday.
A.: Great!

And I meant it.

And then I'd realized that I may have signed on for another birthday of being told how fat and overbearing I am. We may even be in for some "the way you walk is really not sexy." Did I forget how traumatic their last visit was? I'll also get an earful about everything that's wrong with the house.

Speaking of last spring's traumatic times, I was just thinking how this time last year, I'd also returned home from a fabulous vacation, and spent lots of time cleaning up my photos and writing up my travel notes. But this time, there's no idiot in my house who won't stop talking to me.

No comments: