Saturday, November 3, 2007

I don't have to justify my travel plans to my mom

Mom: Spiros is actually in Greece, he'll call when he returns.
A.: Great.
Dad: One of my coworkers just got back from Turkey- she loved it. She had a very interesting itinerary, saw some very impressive ruins.
A.: Yeah, I've heard great things about the country as a whole, but this time we're only going to Istanbul.
Dad: Oh, you only have a few days?
A.: We'll probably do four-five in each country. I've heard the Turquoise Coast is stunning.
Mom: Why even go for that little time? That makes no sense.
Dad: Sure it does-- get to know the country a little bit.

They get into an argument about whether it's worth going anywhere for "only a few days." I'll spare you the specifics, but I bring this up because it's another example of mom's inability to see another perspective. I am not retired; nor are my friends. There are a lot of places I would love to go if I had the time, but if I only traveled when I could take at least a month off, I wouldn't go anywhere. The trip makes sense because my friend Kate and I want to go on vacation together; we haven't seen each other in five years, and soon she'll get her PhD and a less flexible job. She suggested a trip together in lieu of my going to her wedding (in England), at which we wouldn't have gotten much time to spend together. Neither of us have been to Greece or Turkey; both want to go; and both found an inexpensive ticket. Ten days is a good introduction to an area, without taking too much time away from work or spending too much money (both countries, even with the low dollar, appear to be quite affordable). That explanation in and of itself is not important; my point is, there are many reasons that this trip "makes sense," and it's amazing that mom doesn't even consider them (or bother to ask), because if it doesn't immediately make sense to her, she can't see how it makes sense at all. I mean, have you ever told to anyone, would it ever occur to you to tell anyone that their travel plans don't make sense?

Audrey, hope you feel better, we'll miss you. On that note, I have to go get ready for girls' night.

No comments: