Saturday, November 24, 2007

because I can't, okay?

Mom called at a bad time, left a message asking why on earth I couldn't come to the phone. In the course of the message there were a few asides to my dad, one of which was, "work? why would she be at work?" Mom must think that over the weekend I sit around all day. That would explain why she thinks I have a lot of time to write her complaint letters.

Am I the only one who thinks that's a silly question? Does she really need to know the answer, first of all? Does it matter? More importantly, is it really a stretch of the imagination that I may be unable to come to the phone on a Saturday afternoon, or ever? Does she not know people who put themselves in positions where they are unable to come to the phone? Perhaps she expects me to regularly change my outgoing voice message to reflect why exactly I am unavailable ("Hi, I'm in the shower/my hands are covered in batter/I'm with other people/I'm driving," etc.)

Later, I called back, got the machine, left a message asking why on earth she couldn't come to the phone. I was at a cafe with a friend when she called back (I didn't answer); she left another message.

I called back again, got mom and dad on the phone.

Mom: How are you?
A.: Good. You?
Mom: Good. Anything new?
A.: Not really.
Mom: Where were you?
A.: Just in town...
Mom: Seen any good movies?
A.: No, have you?
Mom: Yes. I don't remember what it was called. I'll tell you about it later.
A.: Okay...
Mom: Okay. Bye. By the way, you could have called and asked how we were.
A.: I did call and ask how you were.
Mom: Oh, please. Okay, bye.

***
We had talked on Thursday (i.e. two days before the above conversation). I called to wish them a happy Thanksgiving, check in. I guess it was inconsiderate to go 48 hours without calling. Thursday's conversation wasn't blogworthy, although now that I've mentioned it I may as well add that mom asked again why I was trying to go to two countries in ten days. I responded that Greece is closer to Istanbul than most of Turkey, so why not. That seemed to be a satisfactory explanation at the time, but I wouldn't be surprised if the issue came up again.

No comments: