Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday evening ramble Part I

First of all: f*, I hate the groundhog, and f* I hate the cold (apologies to the Cowboy Junkies). Now that we've got that out of the way...

So, my dad is adorable. I told you guys about how he's really excited about talking to me about electricity, and I'm doing my best to keep up (rather than letting him know that he'd just as soon have the same conversations with the squirrel on the other side of the window). So I sent him this article about how Australia is teaching electricity all wrong (synopsis: batteries: bad, electromagnetic fields: good), and he was super-excited about it and whole-heartedly agreed.

But he has another source of educational fun, now that I have an iPad: correcting my horrendous Russian spelling. Here's how it works: I send him a picture of Gracie, with an inevitably mispelled subject-heading in Russia. He responds by correcting the spelling in transliterated (romanized) Russian. I respond by transliterating the transliteration back into cyrillic. Maybe I add something (for example, about electricity), also in Russian, because I'm just not a fan of transliteration when I have a cyrillic keyboard right there in front of me. And then dad writes back to correct the spelling of whatever I've written about electricity. You may be tempted to read sarcasim into this, but it really is fun for the whole family.

No comments: