Saturday, February 23, 2013

Saturday morning roundup and rambles

China wages passport warfare on its dissidents.

South Africa's police corruption problem.

Have we talked about how Russians can be paranoid and superstitious?

Also: take CSM's Russia quiz. It's pretty good.

This is one creative resume idea.

More from the "I don't get physics but I love the pictures" department.

Yes, yes, sometimes even the most skillfully parented kids will behave like rats (and some adults will, too). But I have to keep reiterating that so many parents don't even try. I do have to say that I was horrified that a couple brought their (admittedly very cute) newborn to a play-reading last night, but the baby was actually better behaved than the couple sitting behind me, who were (1) playing with their phones; (2) taking ages to unwrap candy; and (3) making noises with their programs. And the baby was removed when he or she started making sounds.

The bigger question is, why did I go to that reading? Why am I going to "The Convert" today? A full two days and two performances after I realized, at the ballet on Thursday night, that I'd reached my saturation point with the arts?? Why can't I stop?? I think I have nothing artistic going on for the next couple of weeks, apart from helping out with a play (but not watching it). But I'm probably going to end up going to see "Streetcar" because I know someone in it.

***

More on dating out of one's league, as inspired by that Girls episode (that I have not seen). I've always felt that the concept of leagues is a relatively useless one: as long as each person brings something to the relationship that the other values, who cares about pre-set categories? Since so many men out there are declaring that they want to date tall, blond, thin women who "take care of themselves" and brew their own beer, or something to that effect, I've decided to be more secure in my own demands. I've decided that I need to date someone who's brilliant. Note: this is not equivalent to believing I'm entitled to someone who's brilliant. Nor do I for a second purport to match this hypothetical partner's brilliance. I'm just saying, if the tubby, balding men of this world feel free to declare a preference for human Barbies, I'm going to declare a preference for Nobel laureates and Pulitzer winners.

And I claim my right because I feel no need to be a Good Girl, like the one RM kept pushing me to be: be good and disregard the fact that I'm brazenly flouting your boundaries. Here's an excerpt:
The curse of the Good Girl is a standard of behaviour that is only applied to women.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for empathy, generosity and kindness. But being a Good Girl isn’t about basic human decency.
It’s about inauthenticity and inequality. It’s about forcing girls and women into a mold of sweetness and light where they must repress their needs and bite their tongues in order to be perpetually ‘nice’.
You know who else is encouraging us to eschew the Good Girl trap? Sheryl Sandberg. So quit focusing on whether she's too wealthy and successful for her lessons to apply to you and just focus on how her lessons may apply to you.

No comments: