Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday evening roundup

Dr. Tiller's old clinic reopens to continue to serve women.

Is it irrational for carnivores to take issue with horse meat?

Ironically but understandably, there's little love for Valentine's Day.

The blogosphere--and some magazines--are shocked (!) that a woman with Lena Dunham's body could attract a "perfect" man. It must be opposites' day, because it turns no heads when not traditionally attractive men somehow manage to get really hot women on TV and in film.

By the way, "the feedback" I've gotten doesn't always inspire confidence, which brings me back to the fact that we need to stop listening to "feedback." I mean, take my parents--both of them. My mom is more vocal, but, as with politics, my dad agrees, just doesn't want to belabor it. They both think I'm too "solid" for my own good. I don't conform to their standard of beauty or femininity. Indeed, if you walk down the streets of St. Petersburg or Moscow, you'll see women with Barbie limbs. Why on this earth would a woman need, much less want, muscle? So my parents think I'm too buff; "helpful" friends have implied or even said that I really should wear makeup and/or get highlights so as not to sport such dark hair; and don't even get me started on my prominent eyebrows. These people are never going to stop talking, so I urge everyone to follow my lead and stop listening. On that note, I'm going to listen to Sweet Honey in the Rock's "No Mirrors." Here are some lyrics:
There were no mirrors in my Nana’s house...
I never knew that my skin was too black.
I never knew that my nose was too flat...
cause the beauty in everything
was in her eyes (like the rising of the sun);
***
The Onion on the dress code at the Grammys.

Okay, being Russian, I still think enemas are gross but I'm not shocked by them. Except for coffee enemas.

Another example of a hilarious ethnic joke on "The Mindy Project": “You know the Latin Department doesn't have that much sway in Hollywood. I think you're thinking of the Hebrew Department."

No comments: