Saturday, December 15, 2012

When causes conflict

There are many ethical conundrums in the realm of charitable giving, including the one I mentioned in this morning's roundup. I've just run into another as I made my donations this year: I've cut off the Seaport Foundation, even though they do great work, because they had a pig roast, and I just don't feel like I want to support that in any way. I had the same conflict when I decided to go ahead and give to Feeding America: they do fight hunger, and to the extent that they partake in the food system, they leverage its excess instead of supporting them. Look: I've volunteered at many a shelter and I've cooked and served meat for the residents. The difference in the case of Seaport is that it's not necessary for anyone's sustenance. And it's not like Seaport cares--it's not like I'm a big donor; it's not a punitive measure or a political statement; I just want no part of my donation going toward a pig roast.

If you're looking for giving ideas, my regulars include Oxfam, International Rescue Committee, International Planned Parenthood Federation, Women for Women International, American Jewish World Service, the local homeless shelter, and a local animal shelter, among others.

No comments: