Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday evening roundup

The things I miss when I leave the country! It doesn't shock me that Richard Cohen is a dirty old man, but I don't have much to say about it beyond what Jezebel already does. I can second all that, from personal experience: many men who consider themselves sophisticated apparently think that's a reasonable excuse to let themselves go. I can also second the offense in one of those commentaries: as a woman who spends a fair amount of time exercising--for myself, because I like it; because it's good for me; and because it makes me feel good--I not only resent the implication that it makes me the female equivalent of a meathead (would that be a bimbo?) but also the fact that, empirically, it's bullcrap: exercising makes you smarter.

Let's also take a minute to discuss this apparent male victimhood trend. I was thinking, as I was watching the misogynistic "Ruby Sparks," that what insults women also naturally insults men. For example, Tracy McMillan's reduction of all men--in the service of dating advice to women--is just insulting to men. The very dating advice that I so often hear--don't be too smart, don't be intimidating--is f*ing insulting to men.  Maybe MRAs could tackle that.

No comments: