Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday evening roundup

A lot of what these points are generalizable beyond parenting.
Husband complains that his pregnant wife asked him not to travel for a wedding the week before her due date, and apparently expected validation from Carolyn.
The fashion industry loves Michelle O.
*** I attended a number of events this week for work at which I couldn't help but notice that the women among the presenters were shrinking from their space. They self-deprecated, dismissed their credentials (including PhDs), slouched, and spoke very softly. In one case, I couldn't hear her; I had no trouble hearing the men who presented in the same space, before her. Then, this evening, I went to the local Smith Club's annual meeting, where each speaker stood up straight, projected, and said what she had to say without bowing her head. It was beautiful.

No comments: