Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday evening roundup

China can be so amusing when it tries to do like North Carolina.
Lost in the debate on NYC soda sizes: is soda really food?
How infuriating is this headline? Soy isoflavins are not soy, and the nutritional benefits are not identical.
Theater is all about sitting close enough to see the nuances, and I'm truly blessed to live somewhere that's possible and affordable. It's true for professional theater here and even more so for community theater, but I'm aware that theater costs money and that artists deserve to be paid, so I'm aware of the contradictions in touting community theater as the solution. But don't those people deserve to use their talents, too, even if it is for free?
Alexandra Petri hits home in her post on banning books.
Wow, there is so much in this article about traveling as a couple (which I will not be doing next week, and it's for the better). It's funny... with my friends and family, sometimes I'm the put-down-the-camera-and-let's-go person and sometimes I'm the one stopping and taking pictures. It's all about finding something that works for everyone and compromising as needed. What will really ruin travel is complaining, grumpiness, blame, antics when things go wrong, and apathy. I've experienced these individually with certain people, and I've also had a blast with people who just have fun in any situation.
To this excerpt from a Scottish policy paper, the Economist and I say, "word:"
“Language learning is life enhancing. It opens the doors to possibilities and experiences which are not available to those who are restricted to the knowledge of one language.”
Do you have a To-Don't List?
Yes, please don't tweet $hit no one cares about.
Where was this months ago? Is it available for Droids?

No comments: