Monday, September 12, 2011

Monday morning roundup

There's a lot of seriously disturbing bull$hit coming out of Afghanistan, but this takes the cake for inhuman greed and cruelty.

How different countries' textbooks take on 9/11.

Really, fast food industry? As a taxpayer, I object.

Speaking of taxpayer money, wanna save some of it, help the environment, and contact your elected representative at the same time? Tell him or her to get rid of the bottled water.

The Onion on immigration and hypocrisy.

Here's why you should go for a walk in the woods, or at least check out the travel notes I posted earlier.

I experienced a brief jolt of relief on the metro ride home when the pungently stinking man standing mere feet away from me moved farther into the train. A woman moved in shortly thereafter, but she didn't stink. She did, at one point, lurch and barely miss my face as the train moved, but that wasn't her fault. When it happened, I saw that she was, as I was, reading the New Yorker. I thought about asking her whether she, too, had for the nth month running found Adam Gopnik insufferable and full of shit. You guys know that I'm an avid New Yorker reader, and perhaps you figure that I bristle at the idea that the magazine is elitist in a pejorative sense. Of course it's elitist, in the sense that the best writers write for it; that's not a bad thing. But it's also accessible; I think anyone can learn a lot from the New Yorker. That is, unless AG is writing. In that case, I find that I neither follow what he's writing--he takes logical leaps that don't sit well with me--or he's over my head. And once again, I wonder what the f* his editor is doing. I mean, I know it's called "The New Yorker," but it's a national f*ing publication. Do you think it's wise to base an analogy--with regard to international commercial competition--on obscure New York grocery stores (whose apparent lack of competition points to the divergent needs of the city's West and East sides)?? I'm just sayin'.

No comments: