Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Your password, BIG DEAL!

This morning my mother sent me the following e-mail. Were it not for her signature broken English, I would have thought it was a scam:

"Your father screwed up my and your Google accounts and I am not able to access my bookmarks. most of my bookmarks in your account. Could you please email your PW."

I replied,

"no-- I don't think my password will help and I'm not going to send it over the internet. call google or go through the program to reset your password."

I knew what she would say-- in the past she's complained about the 'stupid squiglies' with which she has so much trouble. But there's NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to send anyone, including my mother, my gmail password. F* no.

Now, when I first balked, it was more out of security concerns, but thinking about it more and more, mom's given me plenty of reasons not to trust her with my privacy. The woman has never knocked in her life, has no problem listening in on phone calls, and thinks she had a right to open and read my mail.

That aside, there are the obvious security issues, which I can't believe she can't appreciate. But apparently, she can't, because she just called me screaming:

"BIG DEAL, you're password! I spent HOURS trying to clean up this mess! You didn't log out! You won't come near this computer next time you're here..."

A.: I always log out. There is no way I didn't log out...
Mom: Well, you didn't.
A.: Besides, what do your bookmarks have to do with a google account?
Mom: They're saved to Google...
A.: Why don't you log in? Do you know your google password?
Mom: They give me those squigglies... I've spent hours on this. You know what, forget it. You'll never touch my computer again! Bring your laptop.
A.: I brought my laptop last time but it wasn't much use because you don't have wireless.
Mom: I don't care!
A.: I can help you reset your google account...
Mom: I've already spent hours trying to do that.

I have very little sympathy when mom tells me she's spent hours on something-- and she tells me that quite a bit-- because whatever that something is doesn't take hours if you take a few minutes to figure it out. For example, once when I lacked internet access I asked her to renew a book online for me. I gave her detailed instructions, but she "spent hours" trying to do it.

We went around in circles a few times. She got angry, blamed me and dad for whatever the problem was. We left it at that.

***
Out of curiosity, I checked under my google bookmarks, and lo and behold, there were a bunch of websites there, from the unnecessary (google searches on "polish" and "local movie listings"; the contact page for the MA attorney general's office) to the are-you-serious (the rev wright video) to the to-each-her-own (Russian joke sites, etc.). I called her and said I'd e-mail her the list. And then I'd like to delete them from my account as soon as humanly possible.

Oh, and it's not because I didn't log out, because google automatically logs you out every two weeks anyway, so I don't want to hear it.

No comments: