Saturday, May 31, 2008

credibility

A., answering the phone: Hi. I'm running out of the house now...
Mom: A tornado is coming toward your area...
A.: What?
Mom: Turn on the TV!
A.: I don't have time, I'm running late.
Mom: You should be going to hide somewhere where it can't reach you.
A.: Okay, I'll hide in the city.
Mom: I'm serious!
A.: Mom, I don't have time to discuss this right now. Bye!
Mom: Bye.

***
Tornado warnings are good, when they're credible, but mom lacks credibility as far as I'm concerned. She cries wolf too often, so I tend not to take her seriously.

It was windy when I left the house, and pouring-down rain when I emerged from the metro, late and annoyed at the hordes of tourists that were blocking the left lane on the escalator. I made it to "Antony and Cleopatra" on time. It was good. Two cell phones rang during the show, once in each act, even though the Theatre as usual asked to ensure all cell phones were off. Some people. Anyway, when I emerged again, it was beautiful out.

I don't blame mom for warning me-- in fact, I left her a message thanking her. I genuinely appreciate the concern and the effort. I just don't know when to take her seriously.

No comments: