Saturday, February 3, 2007

First official post of 'Head-up-the-ass parenting' label

I would like to begin this posting with an all-to-rare example of actual parenting.

A few months ago, I was sitting on the beach watching the sun set, when a small child, probably between two and three years old, ran by about fifteen feet away from me. I heard her father say to her, "you can run on the beach, but be careful not to kick sand up on anyone. You have to run a little farther away from other people."

I was SHOCKED. SHOCKED. In a good way, of course. I had witnessed parenting, whereas what I normally witness is abject dereliction of duty with regard to parenting.

I experienced the latter today at the gym (not an uncommon occurrence). I've often complained about parents who bring their small children into the sauna; those kids then jump around on the benches, jingle their keys, sing, and do a lot of things less than conducive to a positive, relaxing sauna experience. One mother actually brought in her child and propped the door open for her. I asked her to please close the door. The child complained that she was afraid she'd get locked in. I insisted, in the face of a dirty look from the mother. The sauna is not entertainment for one's children.

Today, I was in the sauna when a mother and child walked by. The child, curious, opened the door. And left it open. The mother not only failed to pick up on the teachable moment, but also neglected to close the door. How RUDE is that??

What can I say, the closest gym to my house is the Alexandria Y. I'll have to learn to coexist with the children who infest it. Still, can't the parents, for the children's sake, please engage in some parenting?

No comments: