Friday, June 19, 2015

Friday afternoon/evening

More door-slamming and yelling, followed by some calling me fat ("look at her stomach!").

Before we went for a walk, she had me look up cat-adoption shelters (again). I've been urging my parents to adopt a cat for a while, but I've also insisted that they declutter the house first. It's just not safe for an animal. There's too much crap all over the place. Nevertheless, I found a local shelter and scrolled through the pictures. I noted that they only allow you to adopt kittens in pairs, because they do better that way, but mom wasn't having it.

Mom: Why??
A.: They find that kittens do better in pairs.
Mom: I don't understand.
A.: Kittens have a lot of energy and demand a lot of attention, and some people can't handle them and take them back. If there are two of them, they give each other some attention and take some of that energy out on each other.
Mom: I've had kittens that are fine.
A.: Well, that's been their experience.
Mom: I don't agree with it.
Dad: That's their policy; it's not up for negotiation.

Later

Mom: How can we trick them?
A.: You could just adopt an adult cat.
Mom: You can adopt one of those?
A.: Yup.
Mom: But not kittens?
A.: No, those come in pairs.
Mom: Huh.
A.: I got Gracie as an adult (she was 4.5).
Mom: But she's dumb.
A.: That has nothing to do with the age at which I got her.
Mom: [Our late cat] was super-smart.
A.: You're not looking for a cat that will do your taxes.
Mom: I disagree with their policy.
A.: Disagree away.
Mom: Look at your stomach!

No comments: