Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tuesday roundup

No, Twitter activism isn't magically going to fix everything--and yes, the kidnapping is part of a larger crisis, but isn't solidarity better than apathy?

Doctors are at a loss with regard to Alzheimer's.

Opioids don't work for chronic pain.

What in the hell? A man discovers after five decades that he's not a citizen; another, who is a citizen, is deported.

Women in science are regulars, not guest stars in one episode.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if there's one thing my parents did right, it was to say, "this is what's for dinner; don't like it? That just means you're not hungry." That said, they accommodated the vegetarianism; they just had no time for fussiness.

It's always good to listen before you talk, but I hope to get a ramble in about mansplaining later this week (it's not too different from the case in the linked post--a couple of dudes were (perhaps unintentionally, and very cluelessly) lecturing me about something I work on). When I say 'unintentionally,' I wonder whether it's the opposite or converse of when women sound doubtful, unintentionally--whether it's a verbal trait that conveys uncertainty when none is intended, where the guy version conveys arrogance where none is intended.
Sorry, I'm still with Mark Bittman on this one. He's not taking down organics; he's saying that there's much more that's immediately achievable for the food movement. Nor is he embracing GMOs; just saying that the food movement has more pressing issues. Also, if you're concerned about toxic chemicals, keep them out of your lawn (most of the time--as the article says, sometimes you've gotta bring out the toxic stuff--and in my case, that was for poison ivy). But otherwise, I've been newspaper mulching and I swear by it.

Nutritionist conference, brought to you by McDonalds. No wonder there's rampant confusion about nutrition (though nutrition isn't the only science that's misrepresented in reporting).

Some of these state fair foods aren't bad. I'd eat the salsa and scorpions (what? I'm a sustainability vegan).

Today is not a day to be proud of Smith College. Maybe Ruth Simmons can belatedly educate the graduating ladies about economics.

I can't believe this letter-writer is for real. Some people!

No comments: