Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday roundup

No, let's not use migrants as cheap prison labor. BTW I almost felt bad for this couple an then the DUI thing was casually mentioned. If it were up to me, I'd start deporting U.S. citizen drunk-drivers, regardless of their marital status.

By now, you've read about the shooting and the #yesallwomen hashtag. And about the dudes who think it's about them. Or worse: this one's about why men think women are crazy, and why women should care. Or the trolls, but I'm not linking to them. Then, there are others who just don't see the connection. That klansman who shot up the Jewish nursing homes a month ago ended up killing people who weren't Jews; that doesn't mean anti-Semitism didn't drive him to do it.

Bias needn't be fervent; it's passive preferences can be detrimental.
 
It's not that "normal" to live with roommates in your 30s, but does it matter?

As with nutrition research, ignore the "newest" research on exercise. Just exercise.

This is an articulate statement about what I was trying to say the other day about "dieting": different things work for different people. And it's harmful to treat self-care as a crazy discipline thing. I feel better when I eat well and exercise (and occasionally don't eat so well). I went on a long, perfect bike ride this morning because I felt like it--there's nothing in the world I'd have rather done. I had tofu scramble with brocolli for brunch because it was delicious. Then, I met friends for drinks and had a margarita (with an entire serving of chips and salsa), and, guess what, I'm still a size-00. If you tell people that health is about deprivation, they're not going to be healthy.

It's true: I know things about shows I don't watch, because they're discussed on Twitter, etc. But when was that cultural literacy?

No comments: