Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday roundup

Crimeans might look to South Ossetia as a cautionary tale.

Here's a brief history of the universe (seriously).

Bloody hell. I have nothing more to say about L'Wren Scott being defined as someone's girlfriend than what everyone else has already said, but bloody hell. The f*ing Times did that?? Really? I did find it interesting that, unlike the Post, the Times' headline for its obituary of Bunny Mellon included no mention of her being Jackie O's confidante.

I don't know why this next discussion reminded me of the earlier one about doxxing--perhaps the uniting theme being about women's bodies being coopted. I think I've already linked to Nora Ephron's essay on breasts, and here's another along the same lines. I got really frustrated by the comments: it's not personal-- identify with neither "extreme"--but I naturally resent it when someone deems herself the arbiter of who belongs in a conversation (and who, conversely, should GTFO (in her words). FFS, complaining about the opposite experience is not humble-bragging; it can be problematic to the point where people have to get surgical reductions or have other issues, not least with regard to objectification. Mind you, some comments were spot-on.

Close-ups of waves are pretty.

Um... NSFW. And:

No comments: