Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday roundup

Self-determination is a complicated issue (and OMG is Kosovo a terrible example).

It doesn't have to be this way; the world doesn't have to be hostile to women.

This speaks to the issue of our bodies being ours, no matter how we choose to use them.
Yes, there’s a paradox here in that I willingly engage in work that reduces me to a few sexual facets of myself but expect to be seen as a multifaceted person outside of that work. I participate in an illusion of easy physical access, and sometimes the products associated with that illusion — the video clips and silicone replicas of my sexual organs (seriously, and they’re popular enough to provide the bulk of my income) — do, in fact, exist without attachment to a person with free will or autonomy. 

And then there's the LiesToldbyFemales abomination.

Nonprofits are playing a bigger role in the economy.

Antibiotics make animals fat.

As tragic and horrific as the Atalissa story is, it should surprise no one that institutionalized cruelty to animals translates seamlessly into cruelty to people.

On a related note, it is utter bullshit that vegans are unaware or unconcerned with the welfare of farm workers (especially any more so than any one else? really?). I appreciate the overall message and some parts--that one needn't shouldn't have an opinion about everything--but I wish the columnist had told the letter-writer where to shove her vegan hatred. It's just silly and misguided to accuse vegans as a whole of being more obnoxious than anyone else; it's got to be people projecting their own internal conflicts and insecurities on people who make different choices.

***
A friend asked whether I'd seen or planned to see any movies, and I told her about a documentary I wanted to see--Particle Fever. She asked me what it was about... and then the conversation got interesting.

A.: Do you remember that particle that was found in Switzerland--
M.: They didn't know it was there and they found it?

A.: No--they'd theorized it mathematically, and then found it--
M.: Where did they find it? In a mountain?

A.: No... it's really small and it decays fast. They had to make it by throwing protons at each other near the speed of light...

It didn't get better from there. To be clear: I'm not criticizing my friend; she has no particular reason to have known what I was talking about. It was just a funny conversation.

No comments: