Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday evening roundup: your-blogger-is-angry edition

Mr. Frothy Mix surprises just when you thought he couldn't get more clueless or offensive. Look, you can tell women what they "should" do. That is your First-Amendment right. The point is, what they ultimately do is their choice. And trying to take that choice away doesn't save any lives.

I thought this piece about vegetarianism would make me angry, but it didn't. The argument is, stick with what you can handle, and if vegetarianism is overwhelming, start with less-meat-tarianism. Fine. But I still disagree with the headline claiming it's better for the planet (which, by the way, factors in dairy and its enormous carbon footprint). This attack on soy does make me angry, for a similar reason (i.e., misleading headline). It's not soy that's the problem--as the article itself makes clear; it's processed soy. But then, why focus on processed soy? There are worse processed foods for you, and some of them also masquerade as health foods. That's one reason why I'm loath to recommend Made Just Right, even though those are some pretty cool recipes. It's that relying on processed fake-dairy foods is contrary to everything I, personally, believe in. I hated it about "Everyday Food" (hey, I had frequent flyer miles to redeem) and I hate it about the vegan equivalent. I feel as strongly about unprocessed food as I do about plant-based food. I see little point in going vegan if you're going to regularly make crap. Occasionally making crap is fine.

Let me not slam another source of excellent vegan recipes here. I was going to roll my eyes at her embrace of the Vitamix, but I have to admit that I have serious Vitamix envy. I tried to deny it. Actually, I think I've successfully denied it. But I have to admit that, all things being equal, i.e. if I had $500 to burn, I'd be all over it. After I'd burned other bundles of $500 on more important stuff, of course.

Alright, back to my rant. Look, sanctimom: I don't hate your kids, and I didn't even hate you before your blog post. Don't turn this into my hating your kids, just because I hate your stroller when it gets in the way. How dare you turn that into a childism issue? Oh, and you forgot another type who hates your kids: the wary traveler. They (we) really f*ing hate your kids, and rightly so... but we hate you even more when you're not even bothering to comfort them. And why does someone's not wanting kids at her wedding make her a bridezilla? Who cares if it means you can't attend? All that means is that you can't attend. Since when is the wedding about you, anyway? I don't think this woman hates kids; she just wants a peaceful ceremony. Does that make her a monster? And wait, even the hipster is about you, now? Let me break it to you: the hipster is an equal-opportunity asshole; he/she is rude to everyone.

No comments: