Sunday, September 21, 2008

Phone calls

A.: Hello?
Mom: I'm returning your call.
A.: Did you get my e-mail?
Mom: Your father read it.
A.: And...
Mom: So, you're coming for New Year's?
A.: There were three held itineraries in there-- I'm also coming for your birthday and for Thanksgiving.
Mom, sweetly: You're coming for my birthday?
A.: Could you check the dates on the itineraries and make sure they work?
Mom: Why wouldn't they work?
A.: Well, you were saying something about Rome in November...
Mom: No plans for Rome. We'll be around.
A.: For all three sets of dates?
Mom: Yes.
A.: Great.

I have to say, I was a little annoyed at dad. I don't send gratuitous e-mails. If I send three e-mails, read them, dammit. Each of them. And no, they don't use gmail, so it's not like the e-mails run together.

A.: Could you do something for me? Could you make sure I can connect my laptop to the internet, unlike last time? I may need to work.
Mom: Why wouldn't you be able to?
A.: I wasn't last time.

Remember? I'd dragged my laptop up-- because she urged me to, so I could stop "hogging" her computer-- but there was no way to connect it to the internet.

Mom: Does your laptop have an outlet for a cable cord?
A.: Probably?
Mom: Then we'll be able to connect it.

I really hope so.

***
I do have to say that mom has been supportive, although still a little bit annoying, throughout my house-hunting process. Two months ago, I sent her the first listing. I warned her beforehand that it was small and butt-ugly.

Mom: It's really small.
A.: I know.
Mom: It's just really small.
A.: Yes, I realize that.
Mom: What about that open house we popped into last year, on the way back from our walk.

Mom loves open houses as much as she loves yard sales and A.J. Wright. Who was I to stop her?

A.: That townhouse was $750,000, mom.
Mom: Really?
A.: Yes.

***
Late last week I sent her another listing.

Mom: Where is it?
A.: Not far from where I live now. Closer to Trader Joe's.
Mom: Like that house we saw last year?
A.: That house was $750,000, mom.
Mom: It was?
A.: Yes, we've discussed this several times.
Mom: I read that prices are reasonable in Virginia.
A.: Virginia is a huge state, mom, with huge socioeconomic variations. Prices have stabilized in Alexandria but this is still a good deal.
Mom: I don't know... I read that in Virginia....
A.: Not this part of Virginia.
Mom: Okay, well, keep me posted.
A.: Will do.

***
A few days later, I learned that I got the house. I called my parents, they congratulated me. Mom fretted about this and that, but overall, she's being supporting. I would like to point out that she has gone several months without saying anything mean. Dare I hope that my visit for her birthday will go smoothly?

No comments: