Monday, August 11, 2008

Time on the water

Mom and dad call a few minutes before nine... jn other words, a few minutes before the end of How I Met Your Mother. In case anyone cares, the last segment was silent, so nothing was lost.

No snide remarks about my bedtime this time around, although mom forgot that she admitted that she's passive aggressive about the lakes thing.

A.: Hello?
Mom: Hi. How are things?
A.: They're fine. How are you?
Mom: So, how are things?
A.: Fine. Are you done with the mushrooms?
Mom: Almost. They're coming along.
Dad: What did you do this weekend? Did you spend any time on the water?
A.: Et tu? You're going to ask me about water every time, too?
Mom: I don't ask you about water. I know perfectly well there's no water where you are.
Dad: Well, she could have gone somewhere.
Mom: Where is she going to go?

Pause

Mom: I wanted to tell you, Alia is thinking of coming.
A.: Yes, you told me.
Mom: And she wants to stop in Washington as well...
A.: Yes, you told me.
Mom: I did?
A.: Yes, over the weekend.
Mom: Is it okay that she stays with you?
A.: Of course.
Mom: She asked me if you were planning on getting married.

Pause

Mom: Are you very far from the Chinatown bus?
A.: No.
Mom: I told her that was the least expensive way to go.
A.: That it is. When is she coming?
Mom: Some time in October.
A.: Okay.
Mom: So what do you think, of the situation in Georgia?
A.: What do I think?

[I think it's an unmitigated disaster, but I don't really want to talk about it right now. Especially if my mom discovers her inner nationalist and is baiting me. She wasn't, but I still don't want to talk about it].

Mom: What do you think?
A.: I think it's a very bad situation for everyone involved, except maybe Russia.
Mom: I agree. Misha thinks it will blow over but I think it will escalate.

Mom: Anything else going on?

[It's 9pm on a Monday; we talked on Saturday night. No, there is nothing else going on. I'm not getting married, if that's what you're wondering. I'm not sure whether this is mom's passive-aggressive way of asking whether I'm dating. If I were, I wouldn't tell her.]

A.: No.
Mom: Okay, goodnight.
A.: Goodnight.
Dad: Goodnight.
A.: Goodnight.

No comments: