Saturday, August 18, 2007

A tent, a few hikes, an itinerary, Canada

Mom: You're coming on the third and leaving on the fifth?
A.: I'm coming on the sixth and leaving on the ninth.
Mom: Really?
A.: Yeah... I get in at...
Mom: You don't have to tell me, I have the itinerary you sent.
Mom: Can we go over your books when you're here, maybe give some away?
A.: We've already been over my books, you already gave away the ones I was willing to part with and then some.
Mom: Oh, I have a vacuum cleaner for you, it's rechargeable.
A.: Thank you. I may not be able to take it back with me, as I'll have the tent and other gear.
Mom: What tent?
A.: The tent I'm taking to Canada.
Mom: You're going to Canada?
A.: We've been over this [and it's on my itinerary].
Mom: I mean, you're going to Canada after you come here?
A.: No, I'm going to Boston after I go to Canada.
Mom: And you're taking a tent?
A.: Yeah.
Mom: You're going to camp?
A.: Yes.
Mom: In Canada?
A.: Yes.
Mom: And hike?
A.: Yes.
Mom: You're going to camp, and then from there, hike?
A.: Yes.
Mom: By yourself?
A.: With a friend.
Mom: Oh, okay. It's hard to keep track when you call so infrequently. We don't talk often, so I don't know what's going on.
A.: I told you I was going to Canada [and sent you the itinerary].
Mom: Still, it's easier to remember when we talk all the time.
A.: You can also call me whenever you want.
Mom: Well, I haven't had much to report, not much has happened around here.
A.: I don't have much to report, either.
Mom: Okay, well, we'll both make a point to call more often.
A.: Sounds good.

I got the idea that my mom was trying. She wasn't inserting snide comments, she wasn't being particularly accusatory.

This past week, I took an excellent course on Conflict Resolution Skills. One of the instructors said that the skills are not applicable under at least two circumstances, for her three: a) when someone has a gun to your head, and other emergencies; b) when the person or people you're dealing with has/have a diagnosed mental illness; and her third case, c) her mother. I'm on the fence as to whether my mother is a third category. I'll try out my new skills, probably drive her nuts. In any case, I'm looking at the three or so days with my family as an opportunity, rather than dreading the lectures about coffee, sunblock, my career, nutrition, etc. I've actually begun to imagine some of the conversations, practice them in my head. Here's how one might go:

Mom: Why don't you drink coffee.
A.: I don't like coffee.
Mom: You're so politically correct.
A.: The way you say that, it sounds like you think I'm not drinking coffee for political reasons. What gives you that idea?
Mom: [Has to think about it for long enough that we can change the subject.]

No comments: