Sunday, August 26, 2007

Gratuitous "why" is annoying enough when kids do it

I don't blame my mother for bad timing, although it's a force multiplier when what I do blame her for is already really annoying. I'd just gotten off the phone with Elisabeth, with whom I'm going to Canada, when mom called. I was just about to go pack some things of which she'd reminded me, while they were fresh in my mind. Again, though, the timing was just an aggravating factor.

Mom: Hi, how are you...
A.: I'm fine...
Mom: You won't believe what I've been doing, I've been looking for a press, I've been looking on e-bay and elsewhere, do you know anything about those?
A.: No...
Mom: To press wine, to separate the water...
A.: No... actually, I think I may have one of those. Someone gave me something called a Lapresse...
Mom: What is it like?
A.: I don't really know... I haven't used it so it's in the basement gathering dust. I probably won't be able to bring it this time around...
Mom: What can you do with it? Can you make juice?
A.: I don't know.
Mom: How much does it weigh?
A.: I don't know.
Mom: Can you estimate?
A.: No.
Mom: Just guess.
A.: I have no idea.
Mom: Why did someone give it to you?
A.: Because someone gave it to her and she didn't want it.
Mom: What's it called?
A.: Lepresse.
Mom: What?
A.: Lepresse. Le-Presse.
Mom: What-presse?
A.: Le-presse.
Mom: How do you spell it?
A.: L-e-p-r-e-s-s-e. Le-then "press" with an 'e' at the end, like in French.
Mom: Why is it in French?
A.: I DON'T KNOW.
Mom: Fine, bye.


[I go downstairs and look at it, call her back, describe it].
A.: I'll call again before I leave.
Mom: You're coming here first, then going to Calgary?
A.: [Breathing deeply] I am going to Calgary first, then going to Boston.
Mom: Okay, bye.
A.: Bye.

***

I asked a friend-- the one going to the same wedding and already transporting wedding stuff for me-- if he had room for the lepresse. He kindly agreed to take it.

I called my mother to let her know that, and if you think she said,

"Thank you for taking the time to go into your spider-infested basement and find it, and for asking your friend to carry it. I know you're busy preparing for your trip,"

you have the wrong mom blog.

Mom: Does it press?
A.: I DON'T KNOW.
Mom: Can you take a picture of it?
A.: I don't have time.
Mom: When you ask me for something...
A.: I don't ask you to drop everything and do anything.

***

I called her back to say I sent her a link to it on the internet.

Mom: Can you describe it?
A.: I just sent you a picture!
Mom: Oh. Well, if you're not using it, why not bring it here anyway?
A.: I'm not going to ask my friend to carry it if it's not what you need!
Mom: Okay. It looks like it's what I need.
A.: Okay, I'll ask him to bring it.
Mom: When is he coming?
A.: In two weeks, when I am.
Mom: Well by then I'll know.
A.: By then I won't be able to tell him to bring it or not.
Mom: I'll send you an e-mail.
A.: I'll be in the mountains, without internet access or cell phone signal.
Mom: In Calgary?
A.: Outside of Calgary.
Mom: Okay, well I'll send him an e-mail.
A.: Don't worry about it, if you think you'll need it I'll ask him to bring it, space permitting.
Mom: You're very impatient. You raise your voice often.
A.: Goodnight.
Mom: Goodnight.

1 comment:

RobinZjemi said...

http://www.epinions.com/Thane_Le_Presse_Small_Appliances_Slicers_Small_Appliances/display_~reviews