Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Moving on to not understanding a different itinerary

First, a non-Mom event: on the metro, a young woman started a conversation with me, told me she liked my shoes... and later asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. She thought I was 22 like her. I didn't disabuse her of that idea (although I did say, in response to her question, that I didn't know). It was wonderful.

I got home from class, finished packing, called my parents (roughly five hours before my alarm goes off).

Mom: Will you have your cell phone?
A.: No.
Mom: You should unlock it.
A.: It's not about unlocking it- I'll be in the mountains.
Mom: What are the facilities like?
A.: Do we have to have this discussion now?
Mom: Yes, I need to know that you're prepared.
Dad: Where exactly are you going?
A.: I sent you my exact itinerary, with the names of the campsites where we'll be staying.
Mom: I didn't understand it.
A.: What about it didn't you understand?
Mom: I didn't understand the itinerary.
Dad: She's getting in on the 6th.
Mom: I know that! I don't understand the itinerary.
A.: What is not clear about the itinerary?
Mom: I don't know where any of those places are, I'll have to look them up on a map.
A.: Okay.
Mom: Goodnight.
A.: Goodnight.

No comments: