Monday, September 5, 2016

Sunday roundup and ramble

Household responsibilities are everyone's responsibility.

Do let--no, encourage--people to study the liberal arts. Key quote: it's “incredibly elitist to say that the masses cannot have the intellectual leisure and curiosity of an elite education.”

The communication challenges that come with dementia make it hard to get the pain relief that patients need.

Caregiver burnout is very real and I keep reminding dad to take care of himself.

***
Mom is doing better. She's been taken off one particularly harsh drug that was clouding her head and slurring her words. The kidney stones seem to have passed, and she's not in constant pain. I'm hoping she'll be able to walk again soon.

When I got home, I looked at old pictures of mom. The thinner both our faces are, the more we look alike; we have the same cheekbone structure. She's been eating poorly lately, and her face has been thin. She has perfect skin. She may well have fewer wrinkles than I do, even though she's twice my age. All that from not believing in sunblock (or, at least, growing up where it was irrelevant).

No comments: