Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday night

Mom continued to rant about how we should call off the evening, since who gives a f* about dad's birthday. At his age, why even bother celebrating with friends? Luckily--because mom tends to be on her best behavior when non-family is around--one guest (who couldn't stay) showed up early, which helped distract mom from the idea that dad's birthday wasn't worth celebrating .

Mom pointed out to the friend that my stomach was enormous, the friend said not at all. Just as that first friend was leaving, another couple (i.e., Nina's parents) showed up. Dad took their coats, and I asked him, as he was going to put away those coats, to grab a chair from that room. Mom took that as an opportunity to comment on my bossiness.

Mom: There she goes, just commanding people around. It's no wonder.
Nina;'s mom: Huh?
Mom: I mean, it's no wonder she's single. Who wants to be bossed around like that? Who wants to be around someone who's always right? It breaks my heart.
Nina's mom: You're imagining things.
Mom: Listen, I know what I'm talking about.
Nina's mom: I recommend that you get off her back.
Mom: Don't tell me what to do! I know what I'm talking about.
Nina's mom: I don't think you do.

Mom settled down as we all sat down to dinner, at which point she started telling everyone about her bear cub. Occasionally, she dropped a comment about the belly I'd grown myself. Statements on either matter confused the guests equally.

Occasionally, I felt bad, as I do, about being curt with mom, but as dad said over the summer, "her biggest issue really is that she's a bitch." We both try to make allowances for the fact that she's ailing, but the bitchiness is so continuous with her pre-ailment personality and we've both had it. I made a decision to shield myself from her emotional vampire antics, and the source of those antics doesn't change that.

No comments: