Saturday, August 1, 2015

Saturday roundup

Medical research on fetal tissue saves and improves lives.

Just say no to orphanage tourism.

Cacao has a child labor problem. Seafood and pet food have a slave labor problem. Pork has a murderous manure problem (but let's keep fetishizing bacon and painting the food movement as elitist). Beef has an overall environmental problem.

What you eat really matters, and eating plants (not animals or their products) is a good thing to do. It's much harder to make a difference when it comes to buying clothes.

I probably need a whole blog post that I don't have time for right now about Cecil the Lion and the backlash and backlash to the backlash, but for now, this is a good start and so is this. This one's less 'whatabout' in general and more about what about other animals, but I don't agree with all of it because trophy hunting really is bad.

Wow, people actually complained about photos of an interracial family.

Gifts are hard to get right.

How to make your man fall for you? Skip the Glamour piece and go straight to Dean Burnett. It's science.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm forgiving of parents who make an effort. Still, some great excerpts here, starting with this:
Kid-haters are also correct, because they did not choose to live in a dystopian nightmare where children are now, if not welcome per se, at least present in bars, high-end restaurants, and other places I would never even think to take my child.


No comments: