Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday roundup

Russia's delusions.

Surprise! Birth control works (i.e., prevents unwanted pregnancies, reduces poverty).

Kudos to CVS for withdrawing from the Chamber of Commerce for the latter's death-promoting activities.

Taking down the confederate flag, in pictures.

Jamilah Lemieux on Cosby and rape culture (but don't let Cosby distract you from the fact that the less powerful get away with it, too, easily and all the time). David Futrelle on MRAs and rape culture (and also make-up).
Pair that last one with Andrea Grimes' piece on "Magic Mike XXL" and the female gaze. See also @theshrillest's analysis of the nasty Times piece on Serena Williams and body image.

Speaking of paying losers more than winners, see: the U.S. women's soccer team.

Can we stop telling women to just be more like men?

Apparently over-airconditioning is a status thing, and so is paid wi-fi in hotels.

Henry Fairlie, in 1983, on America. I wonder how things might have changed since then--in particular, the contrast with Britain. On a related note: the irony of shock in Cuba that
the son of a mill worker and shopgirl could be a presidential candidate in the United States.


Not quite as old, but a 2013 interview with Reza Aslan on, among other things, the distinction between faith and religion. See also his (and Hassan Minhaj's) recent open letter on gay marriage.

Beef: it's what's drying out California.

Small farms are no guarantee against cruelty.

Love this wisdom from one of Carolyn's readers (and the example that goes with it):

Assertiveness is the skill of using adult, confident, polite, logical and clear communication. I finally said, “I am tired of your apparent assumption that you have the right to comment on my weight, or to grill me on what I eat, how much I exercise or anything else related to the topic. You cross a line into my space in doing do, and I want this to end. I cannot change your behavior, but if this happens again, I will leave immediately.”
Memorize, fill in the blank, and repeat as needed:  I am tired of your apparent assumption that you have the right to...

Gotta go but I'm hoping to publish more frequent roundups (and less massive ones).

No comments: