Saturday, May 16, 2015

Saturday roundup

The Rohingya refugee crisis continues to grow more tragic.

Pakistan's former ambassador to the United States on Hersh.

Britain's version of threatening to move to Canada.

Not that anyone asked me, but I echo this reasoning for Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.

I don't know why any animal-welfare organization ever thought that serving dead animals at fundraisers was in line with its mission.

I wholeheartedly encourage the ethical vegan community to distance itself from the myth of natural. This is not to say that we can't prefer less processed foods if we so choose, but we have to realize when our distinctions themselves are artificial.

Wow. Jeet Heer defends Franzen's sex writing.

Science is process, not epiphany (when it is epiphany, there was a process that made that epiphany possible).

Smoked salt on Europa!

The stuff on "We Hunted the Mammoth" continues to leave me speechless. Contrast some of the logic there with this study on how children benefit from working mothers.

A friend of mine sent me this and said I wouldn't understand because I learned Russian the easy way. But I did largely understand because I've learned other languages--including one with a different alphabet--the hard way. So I identified with the first half, even as I thought, 'really? soft signs are a difficult concept?' I also enjoyed this--which reminded me of when Jay, very proud of having learned one Japanese alphabet (that used for writing English cognates), proudly sounded out "ra... ra... rat... rattay" as I said, "latte? it's written in English just below." I enjoyed her example: "Яхт-клуб. Ксерокс. Боди-шейминг" ("yacht-club, xerox, body shaming") and wondered if the latter is actually an acknowledged concept over there (not the thing, which I'm sure is, but the term).

No comments: