Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday roundup

Reining in mercenaries.

Telnaes on Trudeau (on Charlie Hebdo).

Counting the Gulf's oil spills.

Afghanistan's wedding-industrial complex.

In China, two men with disabilities have developed a system.

There are much better ways to teach and elicit empathy than to try to temporary and superficially simulate a complicated, longterm (or permanent) situation, such as being a religious minority or being poor.

That's some police overreach on par with the free-range kids case. (No, I'm not pairing with the spate of police violence/brutality cases, because that goes beyond the issue of overreach).

Confessions of an animal experimenter. Pair with Comey's speech, which we can pair with the spate of police violence cases.

Oh the victimhood!

Probably the best take on Ronson.

You know I'm no fan of the "can I be a feminist and still..." framework, especially when what completes the sentence is being dependent on a harmful system that would be mitigated by feminism. That framing contributes to the fallacy that there's a right way to be a woman.

I love this profile of Toni Morrison.

I'm not defending Dr. Oz, but it bears pointing out that his detractors aren't free of corporate influence.

You don't need milk for healthy bones, and you sure as hell don't need to combine your proteins. You do need to try the "oyster" at Equinox.

You probably don't need a PhD.

Don't buy into the anti-organics hype.

When Roombas attack.

Two great reflections on love. I especially appreciate the idea that your partner should inspire you to be a better person and should expand your world (having once resigned myself to the opposite to preserve a relationship... and yet, something inside me revolted). I also love, love how Carolyn breaks down the difference between making your needs clear and being manipulative about them.



Improv teaches you to say "yes, and..." but at the very least, say "yes."


I definitely have a distinct personality in each language.

I agree that it's silly and petty to shame people for internet grammar (unless it's chronic), but not necessarily for these reasons. I blame aggressive autocorrect.

No comments: