Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday roundup

The resounding responses to the sexual assault epidemic are, "enough is enough" and "you're not alone."

The only possible response to the kissy-sounds form of street harassment is "what the hell is wrong with you?" I experienced this particular form relentlessly in Nicaragua. It was disgusting.

To elaborate on my subtweet to this idiocy:
Isn't he making Suey Park's original point: women aren't allowed to have body confidence; if they do, they're giving themselves away. And she's calling bull$hit (and so am I). Let's pair this with another topical tweet:
I touch on how (American) women aren't supposed to revel in their beauty here, where I also talk about how people need to stop being dismissive and derisive when things (like food) are different in other countries (I maintain the right to be derisive about particularly nasty forms of street harassment). But before I get to that example of WTF? let me point out that some people accuse vegans of a sense of entitlement when we hope for/ask for at least one vegan option at a restaurant. I mean, it's so doable and easy, and it just makes sense in this day and age. And by not providing a vegan option, you're not just losing my business but that of my friends and coworkers; I rarely dine out on my own, so entire groups of people decide where to eat based on where there's something to eat for me. But enough about that and onto what is actual entitlement: complaining about the lack of tex-mex in India. C'mon, dude; if it's as easy as you say, make your own. Or, since you're in India, have some Indian food. It reminds me of that Post journalist who was shocked to find Russian food in Russia.

***
One-hundred years after World War I broke out, let the analyses begin.

Chinese communism, and the patronage system inherent to it, is (ironically?) exacerbating income inequality in Hong Kong.

A sunken kingdom emerges in Wales. That article actually made me kind of miss Wales, for which I have less nostalgia than other places I've lived. I've lived in some phenomenally beautiful places.

We know that Pablo Escobar's hippos have taken to Columbia because they're having lots of sex.

In honor of ceph week, check out some gorgeous cephalopods.
In honor of the exchange student getting stuck in the vagina sculpture in Germany, check out another
Vagina-like structure in Germany (my commentary here, toward the end of that post).

In the accupuncture debate, I'm on team "if it (for example, the placebo effect) helps, embrace it."

No comments: