Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tuesday (is it really only Tuesday) roundup

Why is the Taliban laying low

You may have noticed that I've had much reason, of late, to question social science studies (turns out, I'm not alone). Always read the study--the methodology, assumptions, actual findings etc. before accepting the conclusions.

However--from the 'I could've told you that without the study' department--of course animals love!

Even stalwart opponents of genetic modification acknowledge that it's less about safety and more about corporate control of the food system, but here's a great debate on the issue. Where I don't see why there's any debate at all is, irradiated food.

This is ostensibly about being open about one's finances, but holy crap, isn't it also about blowing money on appearances?

Ooh, lots of wisdom from both Carolyn and the follow-up letter-writers about when it's constructive and not so much to "challenge" someone. The "you can't handle the truth" argument, of course, reminds me of mom.

Read this yet-another-piece-on-makeup for the comments and only for the comments, but also consider it in conjuction with this piece on weight (i.e., what's attractive vs. what's perceived as attractive vs. who the f* cares).

What is forever? Physicists and musicians debate.

I told a friend about "Llama Cop." Her priceless response: "I just... I can't.  I am this close to losing my faith in humanity."

No comments: