Saturday, November 2, 2013

Saturday morning roundup

Did I promise you excerpts earlier this week? It's been a crazy few days and I've moved on. If you care (about the debate about the future of the humanities), you can read or skim all those articles yourself. I'm sure we'll return to the theme, and maybe I'll care enough again then. And now for your roundup:

The Times is about a decade late to the whole "Russians are trying to figure out smiling and other principles of customer service" thing. I mean, I read the same thing about Aeroflot, specifically, probably that long ago. Also, must the Times traffic in ethnic stereotypes (even if they're supposedly flattering ones)?
Finding attractive cabin crews has never posed much of a problem for Aeroflot. Training Russians to be nice to customers, well, there’s the rub for the Russian airline and many other Russian businesses.
This is not the first time in recent months that the Times has glibly played the "Russian women are attractive but not awfully smart" thing. Maybe dedicate more coverage to the Russian journalists and activists--many of whom are female--who are being attacked and jailed for their civil disobedience?

While we're on the topic of objectification and ridiculousness, what can I even say about the coverage of the Dutchess of Cambridge's baby weight?

Poland won't quit coal, in spite of its pollution crisis. Maybe look to China for inspiration and advice?

Veterinarians can quit antibiotics for farm animals when incentivized.

I didn't realize that the world's worst outhouse had burned down.

LEDs are increasingly the answer for those who can't stand compact fluorescents. Up to a week ago, I was in the same boat as that woman with the 15-foot lightbulb change conundrum.

High-protein diets are a sham.

Younger generations really are eschewing cars.
 
I can't help but think of Ani Difranco, in her intro on "Living in Clip," when she says "they were born six or seven times, these people."

The contents of my handbag are about a thousand times less valuable than those of "the average lady." I guess that's not true if you count my glasses, but apart from that there's... a repair kit for the glasses, floss, keys, badge, a magazine to read on the Metro, a zipped up reusable shopping bag, pen and notepad... and that's about it.

Quadriscuits are highly unstable and whole-grain, but are they vegan?

No comments: