Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving roundup

Ukrainians are not taking this renege on the trade deal sitting down.

Grist redeems itself after this horse (or should I say "turkey") shit. There is no such thing as humane turkey; there just isn't. As I tweeted in response to the second item, if you're gonna eat turkey, eat turkey, but drop any pretense that it's humane.

How to raise comfortable kids for empathy and gratitude, and how to maintain empathy ourselves (in which Kristof alludes to the 'bad decisions' of the poor that I mentioned a couple of posts ago). I find a common thread in these discussions of poverty and discussions of obesity, where people taking sides either assign or absolve blame, which is beside the point from both perspectives. On a side note, I don't agree with the self-righteous "fit mom" but I don't understand why or how anyone should be kicked off of Facebook for that kind of thing. And I do agree with her that we can't pretend that obesity isn't a problem, and we shouldn't pretend that people can't do anything about it. I don't agree that shaming is the answer.

I'm with the second Slate take on the Times piece on breast cancer: the picture is appropriate.

Linda Greenhouse on corporations and the bedroom.
The science of why you shouldn't tap your beer cap before opening it (unless it's a mushroom cloud of beer foam you're after).

No comments: