Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday evening roundup and quick ramble

More analysis of the politics of the shutdown.

The less meat you eat, the slimmer you're likely to be.

Life events are not fundraisers for your lifestyle.

***
I didn't catch "War Horse" at the Kennedy Center last year, but I just saw the film. It was emotionally manipulative (in the vein of ET; it is Spielberg, after all) and you will be moved.

I've also started reading "Snow" (Orhan Pamuk) and I like it, but I can't help but point out that he doesn't achieve what Tea Obreht did; perhaps it's more fair to say he didn't attempt it, or that it's not his style. But unlike with "The Tiger's Wife," you absolutely do get the sense, with "Snow," that someone is (regularly) interrupting the story with asides to give you a history lesson.

No comments: