Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday morning roundup

Migrants are going to Mexico, from all over.

Oh, I've been meaning to direct you the the energy issue of Americas Quarterly.

Herbicides (including roundup) aren't great for soil.

Well, kale is curly, headless cabbage and the French do have a way with convoluted terminology. Have I ever shared my favorite example of that? "Clockwise" is "in the direction of the needle of a clock." But I digress; I know I have shared my thoughts about kale: great, but not greater than any other leafy green. And the French already love their leafy greens, so what's the big deal? SanaĆ« Lemoine captures it brillaintly: “They don’t need magical vegetables or superfoods. They already have a tradition of eating balanced meals.”

On that note, I unintentionally impressed a bunch of people at work by making guacamole for an event. All I did was mash up some avocados and add a pinch of salt and the juice of half a lemon (all this for eight small avocados) and people were in awe. I was in awe at their awe. But when the norm is "processed" guac--sometimes with gelatin, sometimes with dairy powder to make it creamier--real, simple guac is even more awesome.

No comments: