Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No pun intended, but go ahead and cringe anyway

You probably have not yet gotten to the point in my travel notes, or never will, about how my mom regularly made me feel like a wuss for being interested in a good night's sleep (or, for that matter, in more than one meal per couple of days). I added in my defense that it's not because I'm lazy (Bob), it's that I find that sleep boosts my immunity, mood, and productivity.

You'll not believe what has happened. At some point over the weekend, I transitioned from 'my body thinks day is night and I'm going to collapse at any moment' to 'I could use another hour or so of sleep but I'm okay,' and today I felt not-tired. Well, lo and behold, this report section that I've been struggling with at work has basically written itself. I mean, it's still a challenge, but in a good way. Funny how that works.

Something else happens after I've returned from a long trip-- I wake up and wonder where I am. Oddly, it doesn't happen while I'm traveling. The other day, I took a nap on the porch, and woke up thinking I was cruising on the Yangtze.

But back to the original point of this post. I know I've said in my FAQs that I blog, in spite of feelings slightly guilty about it, as a form of therapy. Well, it's not so much because I need to vent; it's more that I need a sanity check. Mom is SO certain of everything-- including my senses-- that sometimes I wonder whether I'm not the one who's wrong (even about how hungry and tired I am). Blogging helps me come to my senses (no pun intended, but go ahead and cringe anyway).

No comments: