Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday roundup

World-Cup goers are renting rooms in favelas. Soweto's still boycotting its electric bills.

American's openly gay imam.

Dear Washington Post: Can we once again discuss your aversion to fact-checking? You're so good at checking other people's facts; could you maybe apply some of that scrutiny to your own columnists? There was no "runaway reaction that occurred at Fukushima." That's not what happened there, and that matters (although not to George Will's overall point).

The Post's business section today is very historical, but it's interesting reading. Here's a history of the Federal Reserve and a history of the telephone industry.

As trendy (and trite) as it is to slam Washington, doing it probably means you're part of the problem. Most of the people who live and work here (yes, I know, I live just outside the city itself, but still) aren't part of that "This Town" circus; we're anything but monolithic, and most of us--even those of us with policy-related careers--are out of that status-oriented, superficial fray.

I overwhelmingly agree with Peter Singer's message but also leave room for some emotion-driven donations. I've told you in the past that I tend to not give to trendy causes, even if they are legit, because everyone else is, so my place is to keep giving to the places from which others are diverting their donations. I also won't generally give to homeless people on the street, in spite of Stephen Colbert's recent mockery of Bill O'Reilly's (poorly framed) arguments.

I love Carolyn's take on marital obligations (of which self-care is one):
Married people have obligations to each other. It’s the fundamental premise of marriage. If you want absolute personal autonomy, don’t get married. There are limits, of course: Marital obligations don’t eradicate autonomy, they only limit its extent. Tyranny isn’t allowed and self-abnegation isn’t required.

This resonates that much more now that I've been in a relationship where any concerns about the other's bad habits were met with a sometimes avoidant version of "that's just who I am, let me be me."

The first-world problems of overly crafty women who can't help but make xmas a self-imposed hell (I could barely get past the first paragraph but the link is there in case you identify more with that kind of thing and actually care about what they have to say).

Let's all have our laughs at Justine Sacco, but we needn't overdo it.

The mathematician writers could be why I never really got into "The Simpsons."

So many great words! I mean, ag-gag, the thing, is awful, but the fact that it's a word means that it's getting attention for the awful thing that it is. I was also happy to see "bitchy resting face" in there.

No comments: