Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday roundup

North Korea outsources slavery. (You can also support slavery by purchasing shrimp from Thailand).

Justice reform is so common-sense that it's bipartisan even in this climate.

Ta-Nehisi Coates' powerful tribute to David Carr.

Heer Jeet on Giuliani and D'Souza, by way of the history of the National Review.

Embedding this so you have access to it:
It baffles me that food politics is portrayed as elitist; the consequences of our destructive food system disproportionately damage the poor (here and elsewhere).


Here's the coherent, less ad-hominem response to Monica Potts that actually addresses Potts' valid point about how women's colleges must continue to center (all) women:
One of Potts’ main concerns is the push on women’s campuses to eradicate words like “sisterhood” from use. But this isn’t an example of trans activism, as Potts puts it, being “indistinguishable from old-school misogyny”; that’s just old-school misogyny disguised as trans activism. Trans activism fights to make a world that is better for trans people, and while trans men are an important part of that, the fight to make a place for themselves at women’s colleges has nothing to do with them being trans and everything to do with them being entitled men.
Few professional women are taken seriously in China.
Misogyny is driving women off the internet.

And it's hard to draw the line between well-meaning and aggressive online behavior, so these tips for well-meaning guys are mostly good, but I find some are over the top. Social media is social media, not an echo chamber; someone can respond, interact, etc. without being a dick. 

Part of me can only feel bad for these dudes who think anyone cares what they think about cellulite.

Passive aggression isn't always inappropriate; it's prevalent for a reason.

The orgies of the one percent.

I really should just give credit to Martha Rose Shulman for trying to accommodate vegans, but I guess my ethnic/linguistic identity is overpowering my eating habits: "kasha" is not buckwheat. Kasha refers to any kind of porridge, and it can be synonymous with buckwheat porridge but it could also be oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. When you're talking about buckwheat beyond porridge, please don't call it "kasha."

Two notes: (1) for example, my dad would warn me to not overcook pasta (or something) so that it wouldn't turn into kasha. (2) I was buying raw protein powder at WF when a vendor asked me what I did with it; I told her that I put it in my oatmeal. At which point she started trying to sell me meal replacements--"if you like any kind of -meal, try..."--and I told her that I wasn't looking for meal replacements but I don't think she understood the concept of oatmeal.

No comments: