Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Kangaroo spotting

Australian kids are cute. At first I just thought I was seeing a skewed sample, but they just are. When I boarded the flight to Sydney and saw a one-year-old and three-year-old in the row next to me, I thought, "Oh, SHIT!" but they were angelic-- rather, their parents had activities for them and comforted them when they started crying. Why that's too earth-shattering for many parents is beyond me. Anyway, remarkably, after less than a week of being in Australia, I no longer hate kids.

***

Due to logistical issues, we got yesterday afternoon off. Our hosts took us to the Australian museum and then we followed them as they drove around the countryside for kangaroo-spotting. In the van, Steve said, "I see them! I see kangaroos!" This followed:

"Where, where?"

"Over there!"

"Those are bushes, Steve."

"No, they moved! There were eight of them or so!"

"Are those bushes moving, too?"
"Are you tripping?"
"Could I have some of what you're on?"

"They were kangaroos!"

Finally, the car in front of us pulled up and we all got out. We had to eat crow because they were actually kangaroos! They were pretty far away but someone had binoculars. They'd all stopped to stare at us. It was really cool.

No comments: